Our Journey

We are Nigeria’s oil marketer of choice, providing fuel for transportation, energy for heat and light, and retail services for everyday needs.

Conoil is one of the most formidable names in Nigeria’s downstream petroleum industry. We are engaged in the marketing of refined petroleum products and also in the manufacturing and marketing of high-quality lubricants and chemicals for domestic and industrial use. The company is reputed for its unwavering commitment to excellent products and service delivery for maximal customer satisfaction.

As the first and largest indigenous oil marketing company in Nigeria, we have over the years gained a unique understanding of research and quality control, which we continuously apply in all our businesses in order to offer the best propositions to customers. We have also developed innovative means of manufacturing and distributing our products through our wide network of outlets.

We invest our financial and technical resources in the development of high-performance products and in the provision of services that match or even surpass international standards, paying strict attention to the finest details of health, safety and environmental best practices.

In The Beginning

Conoil has undergone tremendous transformation since inception: growing from Nigeria’s number one marketer to becoming a formidable force in the region, offering employment opportunities to hundreds and continually improving on our capacity to delight customers wherever they are

Conoil Plc, Nigeria’s first and largest indigenous oil marketing company, began operations in 1927 under the name Shell Company of Nigeria (SCN) and later Shell Company of West Africa. It was incorporated as a private limited liability company in 1960 and registered with the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) as a public liability company in 1989.

Earlier in April 1975, the Federal Government of Nigeria acquired 60 percent shares of the company through the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and the company became known as National Oil and Chemical Marketing Company (NOLCHEM). In the year 2000, the Federal Government, through the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE), bought 40% issued ordinary shares of the company held by Shell Company of Nigeria (UK) Limited.

Following the privatisation of the company, Conpetro Limited acquired 60 per cent of the issued shares and as a result of a rights issue made by the company in 2002, Conpetro now holds 74.4 per cent of the issued capital; while the Nigerian public holds the remaining 25.6 per cent.